To import tasks from a CSV file into a Workast space, you'll need to:
- Add the task importer into the space where you'd like to import the tasks
- Download the task template, fill it out, and save it.
- Import the saved file into the space.
How to add the task importer into a space
- Open the space in the Workast web app where you'd like to import tasks. (You will need to add the task importer to each space individually.)
- Click on the ellipses (three dots - the apps menu) at the top of the space and select "Manage apps."
- This will open the apps dialogue for the space. You'll find the apps that are not added to your current space under the "Add new apps" heading. Find "Import tasks" then click "Add" to add the importer to the space.
- Click X on the top right-hand corner of the dialogue box to return to the space.
How to download and use the task template
- Click on the ellipses (three dots - the apps menu) in the upper right-hand corner of your space. Select "Import tasks."
- Next, choose "From "CSV" from the dialogue that opens.
- This will open another dialogue. Click the blue link button next to "Download the template" to download the template to your computer. Save the file as you normally would, then open it in Excel or your spreadsheet program.
The first sheet will be a page of instructions and explanations on how to use the template, including the following definition:
- List - the list within the space where you'd like the task. If you leave this blank, the task will be created in the default list within the space.
- Summary - the task title. This field is required
- Description - A further description of the task. This field is optional.
- Start date - A task start date, if desired. This field is optional, however, all dates must be entered in the format YYYY-MM-DD (year/month/date) format. For example, February 15, 2019 would be entered 2019-02-15.
- Due date - A task due date, if desired. This field is only required if the task has a start date. Again, all dates must be entered in the format YYYY-MM-DD (year/month/date) format.
- Assigned - You can assign the tasks by entering your teammate's email addresses, separated by a comma for multiple assignees. This field is optional.
The second sheet is the blank template that you fill out with your task information. (If you import information from another file, please ensure that above formatting and column orders are maintained.)
- Click "Save as" to rename the worksheet It must be saved as a CSV file type to import.
- Continue adding tasks and saving. Once you are done and ready to import your tasks, return to your space in Workast.
- Click on the ellipses (three dots - apps menu) in the upper right-hand corner of your space.
- Select "Import Tasks" and then "From CSV."
- Click "Browse" to locate your CSV file in your computer. Select "Upload" to import the tasks.
- Refresh your screen as directed, and your tasks will be imported into your space.
Quick tip - if you've imported your tasks and don't see all your task information, check your formatting and column orders. If your dates are not formatted properly or your columns are out of order, your task info will not import properly.