Advanced search is a way to help you quickly and easily find the tasks that meet 2 or more criteria. There are multiple parameters that can be used:
- Task status (pending, done, any, removed) - pending (open) is a default parameter
- Assigned to
- Created by
- Created (on)**
- Completed by
- Completed (on)**
- Summary (the task title - you'll need to enter a keyword)
How to perform a search
- Click on the plus symbol (+) next to Saved Searches on the left-hand taskbar.
- This will open the search screen.
- The default parameter (or filter) of pending will be set for you.
- Click the + button next to "Add filter" and select your second search parameter.
- Once your second parameter has been set, you'll need to choose from a positive result from that filter "Is," a negative result "Is not," or empty "Is unknown." For example, if you're filtering by assignee, "Is Barb" will show tasks assigned to Barb, "Is not Barb" will show tasks assigned to everyone but Barb, and "Is unknown" will show the tasks that aren't assigned to anyone. Click "Apply" to apply the filter.
- Once you've selected an additional filter, your search results will begin to populate, showing the task information including the space, the list, the due date, and the assignee.
- To include subtasks* in your results, check the box next to "Include Subtasks."
- You can select additional parameters to further refine your results.
- Your search results will automatically populate, and show the task information, including the space, the list, the due date, and the assignee.
A couple of things to note about searches:
- If you'd like to set a filter to be "this or that" click on the + within the filter, and choose additional options. For example, if I wanted to search for tasks assigned to either Barb or Alvaro, my filter would look like this:
- Once your results populate, you can click on the headings "Space," "Assignee" and "Due date" to sort the results.
- To refresh your search results, click on the refresh icon in the top right-hand corner.
- To delete a filter, click on the X next to it.
- Values in the search filters must be 1 or greater. A zero in the filter will not populate results.
Filtering your search results
To filter your search results by space, assignee, or due date, click on that column heading once or twice to sort the results in ascending or descending order. For example, if you want to sort the results by the soonest due date, click on the due date column heading twice.
- To save your search, click on "New Search" at the top of the page and rename your search.
- Next, click on the green "Save search" button in the top right-hand corner.
- Once your search is saved, there will be a shortcut to it in your taskbar.
- Saved searches are automatically updated with tasks that meet the search parameters, so they are always up to date.
- A Workast Premium (paid) subscription is required to save your searches. Click here to learn about our plans.
Sharing your saved search*
To share your search with a member of your team:
- Click on the share button (people icon) on the top of the search page.
- This will open a dialogue box. Type your team member's name to search for them.
- When the username appears, click on it to add the user.
- Search for more users, or click outside the box if you are done.
- Select "Share search" to share a copy of your search with your team member.
- Your team member will receive a read-only copy of your search. The copy will include the name of the user that created the search
- As a reminder, your team member will only see tasks in spaces in which they are a member. To learn how to add a participant to a space, click here.
- If the recipient of the shared search wants to make changes to the search, they can select "Save a copy" and then adjust the search as needed. This will not impact the original search.
To learn how to do a quick (keyword) search, click here.
*Note - certain features and filters are are only available with certain plans, and plan limitations may limit your search results. Click here to learn about our plans.