Workast allows teams to have separate departments within your larger organization.* You can have an admin for your department, as well as upgrade just your department's Workast Professional plan.
Departments can be created:
- When you log into Workast for the first time
- When you upgrade to Workast Professional
- From your user preferences in the web app
When you create a new department for your Workast team, you will automatically become an admin for that department. To learn what that means, click here.
*To qualify to create departments within your team, a team must either have at least 100 Workast users or be on the Professional plan and have created the department during the upgrade process.
Creating a department when you log in for the first time
When you log in to Workast for the first time, you'll see this screen:
Click the arrow next to the department example "e.g. Marketing" to bring up your department choices, then select "Create a new department."
Next, add the name of your department, and add users from your team's Workast or Slack if you wish. Click "Save" to finish creating your department.
Please note - if your entire workspace is on a Workast Premium (paid) plan, you may not see the department creation option. If you need to create an additional department and don't see the option, please contact us.
Creating your department when you upgrade
- To upgrade your team, first log in to Workast.
- Click on any of the upgrade buttons to get to the upgrade page.
- Choose your plan and select "Upgrade." For complete upgrade information, click here.
- You can then choose to upgrade your whole team currently using Workast, only your department, or only certain team members*. To learn more about upgrading only your department, or choosing your team members click here. (Upgrading a subset of users is only available on the Professional plan)
- To create a new department, select "Upgrade your department" then move your cursor to your current department name. Edit the field to your new department name.
- Once you've chosen your team members, click "Add billing details" to continue your upgrade and department creation.
Creating a department from your user preferences panel
- Login to the Workast web app.
- Click on your name in the top left-hand corner, then select "Preferences."
- Your preferences page will open. Under the "About Me" section, you'll see your current department, plan, and role.
- Click on your department name then select "Create new department."
- Name your department and invite additional team members if you wish, then click "Create" to create your department.
- Please note that your new department will automatically be placed on the Essential (free) plan. If your original team was on a Premium (paid) plan (Standard, Professional, etc.) you will need to upgrade again and re-enter your billing information.
*Please note that paying for one department is a feature of the Professional paid plan only.